NEW THIS YEAR! A Ranch Horse Pleasure class is added to our schedule.
● The purpose of Ranch Pleasure should reflect the versatility, attitude, and movement of a working horse. The horse’s performance should simulate a horse working outside the confines of an arena and that of a working ranch horse. This class should show the horse’s ability to work at a forward, working speed while under control of the rider. Light contact should be rewarded and the horse shall not be shown on a full drape of reins. The overall manners and responsiveness of the horse while performing the maneuver requirements and the horse’s quality of movement are the primary considerations.
● Horses should NOT perform or be rewarded for performing gaits as they do in Western Pleasure. The horses are to be presented in a more forward-moving style than the typical Western Pleasure Horse. The horse and rider will be scored on movement, which is cadence and rhythm of gaits, smoothness and consistency in performance, along with how they perform the optional maneuvers.
● For rules regarding correct Western appointments, refer to MO132.
● Each horse will work individually, performing both required and optional maneuvers, and scored on the basis of 0 to 100, with 70 denoting an average performance.
● The required maneuvers will include the walk, jog, and lope both directions; and the extended jog and extended lope going at least one direction; as well as stops, and a back. Optional maneuvers are side pass, turns of 360 degrees or more, change of lead (simple or flying), walk, jog or lope over a pole(s); or someone combination of maneuvers that would be reasonalble for a ranch horse to perform.
● The overall cadence and performance of the gaits should be free-flowing and ground covering at all gaits, with an emphasis on forward movement. Transitions should be performed where designated, with smoothness and responsiveness.
● We will be using Pattern #2 for the class. View the pattern.
Grand National has verbal agreements with all of the following judges:
ENGLISH/CLASSIC/PARK: Nancy Becker, Terry Jones Brennan, Lewis Eckard, Bill Waller
HUNTER/WESTERN: Stephen Davis, Anne Judd, Tina Porter-Rovers, Richard Wright
HUNTER SEAT EQUITATION: Josh Greer, James Paden, Matthew Roberts, Sandy Sessink
SADDLE SEAT EQUITATION: Allison Deardorff, Josh Greer, Matthew Roberts, Lisa Waller
WESTERN SEAT EQUITATION: Allison Deardorff, James Paden, Matthew Roberts, Sandy Sessink
CARRIAGE: John Greenall
HUNTER/JUMPER: Jenny Paisley
TRAIL/REINING: Deb Witty
DRESSAGE: Fatima Pawlenko-Kranz, Charlotte Trentelman
WESTERN DRESSAGE: Fatima Pawlenko-Kranz
For more information on this exceptional animal, check out the breed’s website at www.morganhorse.com.